Thursday, March 29, 2007

WIP 2

for reference:
Transfers only: Please discuss your interest in transferring to New York University. Explain your reasons for wanting to leave your current college or university (or if not currently in attendance, why you left the last institution you attended), and describe how you feel your educational goals can be better achieved at NYU.


Bodies 1 & 2
A staple of my ideal university experience includes passionate discussion and debate not just in, but out of class as well. So far, this has eluded me. While I find some of my classes a great platform for probing and prodding issues for greater understanding (a joy of mine), generally this does not leave the classroom. On only a rare occasion have I been able to continue such debate outside of class, and even then the debates have lasted for the duration of the walk back to the dorm rooms. In all honesty, it annoys me. Not so much that I have no sparing partner, rather that those who have the capacity to continue and enjoy said discussion, would rather go get intoxicated instead. I hope I do not sound aloof or naïve, this is not my intention (and I would say the opposite of who I am). It is just a certain set of circumstances are working against my satisfaction in my current setting. One, most students I interact with are from the tri-state area (New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut), and have cars. Two, the top the subjects of commonality are Business, Nursing, and Sports in that order. Three, in some but not all cases a “high-school” mentality still exists. By this I mean the ideals of popularity contents, partying like it is the end of the world, and excessive use of certain taboo insults. Let me also make clear that none of the people I have run into are undesirable. Despite traits that I dislike, nobody I have run into is a “bad” person, rather one that I personally have trouble connecting with.
Due to this lack of connection, I’ve had to resort to other means of enjoying myself. For example, I take particular interest in exploration. Yet, nobody I’ve found would be willing to join me in simply walking around New York City and giving into impulses. For example, I recently went into town and met with a few friends (whom I’d previously known) to just walk around. We ended up downtown, in Battery Park for a bit and then headed up to Chinatown for dinner in the first place that looked good. I’m glad I have that with at least a few people, but I’d to expand that. I want to come home after 4 years and be able to say I did some pretty cool things while at school, not just with a piece of paper that says I’m educated.
This is the other th

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home