Friday, September 22, 2006

Community

The thing about being here on the Westchester campus is that I'm surrounded by lots of others who are from the area. Many of them drive, and my classes have lots of commuting students. And of the students who do stay many of them have cars and can go home, or are close to other friends in the area (at least, the people in my immediate vicinity, not sure about the other floors/wings).
Now, I tend to be a little shy in these situations, and I tend be to selective about friends, and am having a hard time dropping some prejudice (I had images of my peers from orientation day 1, and it's not easy dropping them. Not to mention the fact, that many I have met only support my judgments....).
What this all boils down to is my rethinking of choices. I am sometimes really happy with Pace, there are certain classes that really make me happy, and the weather this time of year where I am is beautiful. Perfect. A little brisk, clear sky, or sometimes big puffy clouds, and clean air. I can go to the city (and have) and love it even more there. Then I start to wonder, if I went to the NYC campus, perhaps I could have entered a situation where I was with a more diverse group of people. And I'm not talking black and white, I mean where people are from.
Anyway, I'm here for the rest of the year, and perhaps I will decide to go down to NYC for next year. Who knows? We need to see what happens with this community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home