Thursday, November 01, 2007

More Chicago

Got on plane, good flight, landed, went to hotel.

There, nice n' neat.

Tidbits:
Approached by guy looking for money using cover story of "trying to see his grandmother." It was a believable story, but it felt too much like an act. He approached, but kept his distance at first, saying under his breath: "Bullshit! Bullshit, man! Bullshit!" although, I hadn't expected for him to actually ask for money at first. His story his long and boring, and I could tell he was trying to be personable by asking my name, shaking my hand, and saying "oh, hey, I met another Matt at the bus stop!" And while believable, (he was dressed appropriately, flashed a student ID card), his story just didn't quite strike me as worthy of my time. Perhaps this city has been too rough on me, and made me too skeptical about people.
On that note, he also was asking for way too much money, so perhaps he was telling the truth (the pros here in the city are good at reading people, and generally ask for low amount, usually between 50 cents and a dollar, sometimes 2 dollars if they are going for the "I just need to go home on the subway" approach, but only really go for anything more if they think the person they have is a tourist, or gullible, or both). He asked me for $10 or thereabouts, which while I have and could give, wasn't impressed enough to actually do so. I gave him a buck (my usual rate), and wished him luck, and departed to find my ride.

Wow...little elaborate for a tid bit. I'll keep the rest of the brief...

I've now been to every location featured in the Alfred Hitchcock film, North by Northwest. Completing the quest I didn't know I was on, by staying at the Ambassador Hotel in Chicago (link is to the wikipeida page for the hotel's restaurant: the Pump Room.)

I was at the launch for Apple's OSX 10.5 Leopard at the Chicago Apple Store, and while I didn't actuallyy buy the new OS there, I did get a free t-shirt! I apologize if the images are not the same size, I tried... In any case, after playing with Leopard for an hour or so, I walked outside only to find that it was now pouring rain outside, and I had a 20 block walk back to the hotel, and while the walk was not very long (5-10min), it was about to seem like an eternity. So I called Cody Walker. I figured he would be entertaining enough to keep me distracted from what was essentially a second shower for the day.
I eventually did get back to the hotel, and dried off.


So...tidbits turned into a full on blog post...hope you weren't too bored..

Hopefully I'll have some pics of the theater for tomorrow, and talk about some of the shows.

PAD THAI FOREVER!
-Matt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home