Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A Bowl

I was walking around Union Square today just for kicks (I was bored, I didn't have class, others did), enjoying the scenery, taking advantage of the seasonally warm (55 degrees) weather, working through my own thoughts etc. I was deep in thought somewhere near the Virgin Records store, contemplating going and browsing movies and music, (I want to pick up the new Foo Fighters CD) and decided to NOT go back to Whole Foods today. On a recent trip there, I figured out that healthy food is really rather expensive. I bought some turkey breast slices, pepper jack cheese, multi-grain bread, and some Fuji apples (which are probably what did it...this things are HUGE!). I had originally gone in to buy some Hazelnut Butter/Spread, but alas, could not find any. All in all though, I ended up dropping $35 at the place, but the food is really good, and I guess good for you if you like clichés.

That's my tea (coffee) cup next to the GIANT APPLE. They're the SAME SIZE!

In any case, as I was walking I heard an "excuse me!" but didn't bother turning around, as it was one of those attention grabbing ones, not the kind that lets you know you did something outside of a social norm, and I figured it belonged to someone else. Almost instantly though, I felt a tug at my jacket, and looked down to my left to see a girl about a third my height, in a sweater that either had a high school, or college name on it. I made brief eye contact and was greeted with, "do you know where I can find a bowl?"
This is where my Communications courses should come in, in that I should be able to explain the encounter more academically than "I just knew what she wanted", but alas, I can not. For those not yet with me, she wanted weed.
I mean,
  • She was young
  • Was in Union Square (near NYU, the New School, Pace, and a host of other Universities)
  • I have hair down below my shoulders
  • I was in a leather jacket
And of course all these things flew through my head in a split-second, but to be sure I just wasn't mis-hearing the girl, I asked "what?" "A bowl," she replied. Confirming to myself that she wanted pot, and I had none, nor knew where she could find some, started to walk way while saying "sorry man, can't help ya," or something to that effect. I don't quite remember (but yes, I did say 'man').

It kind of caught me off guard, the whole thing. I guess now that I think about it, I am walking around looking like a hip, young dude, with long hair, and I can see how one would think I would have, or know where to find grass. Most people, for that matter, would know, and probably do have Mary Jane, or at the very least look like it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle S. said...

seriously, how young was this girl?? from her size it sounds like 5, but was she more like 14? or was she more like 5? i love that you said "man."

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home